Let’s be real, nutrition is one of the more difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members undergo, but it’s also the most rewarding. What to eat in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and crazes are constantly emerging.
Diets aren’t sustainable. Why? Because most diets focus on restricting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also unrealistic. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the correct way to function properly. Starving your body of vital nutrients is detrimental to both your physical and mental health. In addition, research shows that only 1% of people who diet by themselves actually get rid of their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important pillar of our program. Since our original 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same approach when it comes to nutrition—keeping it easy! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food consumption.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” added to our food have significantly changed over the years. We show our members how to make healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to be successful.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program different?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important aspect of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to treat yourself every once in a while, it’s become the norm in our society causing obesity to become an epidemic. Our members are trained that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that way. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep track of calories! We don’t pay attention to calories because a lot of foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a better fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more important than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific formula to determine your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This specifies how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, keeping your body in “burn mode” as opposed to “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to include good fat in our diets as it supplies our bodies with needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get from any other source.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food is released into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is taken in, our bodies go into “store mode” turning leftover sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members eat smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to top off the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program flexible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are encouraged to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you put in your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly made up of water, so drinking adequate water is essential to our total health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps ease muscle stiffness. Our members aim to drink at least 10 glasses of water each day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help fill you up faster, allowing you to keep portions under control.
So, you could spend loads of money on fad diets, special meals that keep track of points, recording calories or eliminating every favorite food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the cost of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and discover how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat normal, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and gain confidence and energy.
Find a location to get more information about our comprehensive program and to sign up! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread daily with the Farrell's program too!